Galway County Council is establishing a panel for the position of Mobile Library Driver/Assistant from which permanent and/ or temporary vacancies may be filled.
The position of Mobile Library Driver/Assistant involves a range of both driving duties and duties of a clerical nature to include the following:
- Driving the Mobile Library Vehicle.
- Report any mechanical problems immediately. Attend to the driving, care, maintenance and cleaning of library vehicle.
- Keeping the mobile library vehicle clean and tidy at all times.
- Driving vehicle(s) assigned to him/her with due care.
- Ensuring that vehicle(s) has appropriate tax, insurance, NCT and other cover.
- Deliveries and pickups from all branch libraries and service points on a regular basis.
- Deliveries and pickups at centres as required.
- The orderly shelving of books in the vehicle and stores.
- The stocking/removal of books in/from Headquarters, branches or schools under the supervision of the appropriate officer.
- Assist with all incoming and outgoing library deliveries and pickups including book stock, and equipment.
- The covering, labelling and repairing of books as required.
- Assist with the issue and discharge of book stock items on delivery vehicle.
- Supervision and assistance of children/adults using the mobile library unit during book selection.
- Perform special and routine day-to-day errands to include deliveries and pickups in library vehicle when required.
- When the mobile library unit is not in use the Driver/Assistant will be assigned general duties such as arranging and checking books, servicing books, simple repairs to books, caretaking duties.
- Assist with stock reorganisation, moving and assembling of shelving as required.
- Assist with set up of equipment for library events, if required.
- Drive in accordance with the Rules of the Road.
- Must adhere to Galway County Council’s Health and Safety Policies and Procedures ensuring a safe environment for staff and customers.
- Use and wear all PPE allocated as part of the role
- Keep up to date with current training and driver qualifications
- Such other duties as may be assigned by Galway County Council from time to time.
- Hold an unendorsed Class C licence and hold a current Driver CPC card which qualifies him/her to drive as a professional lorry driver (5 modules)
- Have a good standard of education to enable him/her to carry out the duties of the post
- Have experience of driving heavy motor vehicles and have a competent knowledge of motor engineering sufficient to maintain the van in proper mechanical condition and to carry out running repairs.