Northern Trust Fund Services Ireland Limited (“the Firm”) is a third party Irish fund management company authorised by the Central Bank of Ireland as a UCITS Management Company and Alternative Investments Fund Management (AIFM) Company. It currently supports 10 clients, 11 fund structures, 30 sub funds and 24 directly appointed investment managers.
This newly created role within an established fund management company team will report to the Investment Oversight Manager for the Firm and will play a role in supporting the Designated Person with responsibility for Investment Management and the Designated Person with responsibility for Distribution in analysing and overseeing the Funds under management as well as the delegates appointed on behalf of those funds. The role requires an understanding of the evolving funds industry regulatory framework as well as a close working relationship with the Risk and Compliance functions.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
Investment Management, Distribution and Product Oversight Support
Support the Designated Person with responsibility for Investment Management and the Designated Person for Distribution with their oversight roles:
- Oversee the approval of investment strategies for each Fund and ensure they are in line with the risk management process/policy and risk profile;
- Actively monitor the investment performance of the Funds and investment managers against market and relevant benchmarks and the provision of periodic reporting to the Firm Board on same.
- Analyse and monitor investment management and distribution activities against agreed parameters as outlined in the Fund Documentation, Investment Management Agreement and Distribution Agreement. Escalate relevant items to the Designated Person(s) as required.
- Work with the Designated Person when managing changes to Fund structures being proposed by clients; to include liaising and coordinating with clients directly and interacting internally with the Ireland New Business Team as required; review and maintenance of all Fund documentation to ensure that they are complete, accurate and appropriate; Ensure all changes are approved by the Board of Directors;
- Lead interactions with the Risk and Compliance Functions to ensure that the Management Company is well prepared and advised in order to comply with any regulatory changes. Provide input into any planning to ensure funds under management and investment managers meet all regulatory requirements. Ensure all Fund documentation is adequately updated to address regulatory requirements taking into account the investment strategies of the Funds.
Oversight of Investment Managers, Distributors & Delegates
- Working with the Designated Persons assist with the completion of initial and ongoing due diligence reviews of investment managers and distributors, including the review of policies and procedures. Also support the Designated Person(s) in the completion of onsite due diligence visits of appointed delegates.
- Review and analyse reporting received from investment managers, investment advisors and distributors and escalate reportable items to the relevant Designated Person(s), as required.
- Have a working knowledge of European Market Infrastructure Regulation (“EMIR”) and Securities Financing Transaction Regulation (“SFTR”) impacting the Funds under management. Maintain Legal Entity Identifiers (“LEI’s”) for relevant Funds
- Provide support to the Designated Persons in the production of periodic reports to the Board on oversight of investment managers, investment advisors, distributors and delegates highlighting items for the Boards’ attention.
- Coordinate with the Northern Trust Legal team and external fund lawyers in ensuring all legal agreements are in place and up to date with all investment managers and all fund documentation is up to date, accurately reflecting the investment objectives and investment risks of the Funds.
The successful candidate will benefit from having:
- Understanding of derivatives, liquidity other investment risks impacting investment funds and/or exposure to investments/distribution/product management within Financial Services.
- Strong knowledge of UCITS, AIFMD and Fund Management Company Guidance (Consultation Paper 86).
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Highly motivated individual who wishes to develop their skills and knowledge within a management company structure.
- Demonstrated communication and analytical skills, with the ability to express complex topics / scenarios in a clear, concise and digestible manner taking account of the audience for which it is being addressed.
- Proficiency in PC software essential (Word, Excel).